Did you know you can make your property less appealing to ticks through proper landscaping techniques? Here are some landscaping tips to help keep your yard tick-free:
- Clear tall grasses and brush around homes and at the edge of lawns.
- Place a wood chip or gravel barrier between lawns and wooded areas and around all patios and play equipment. This will deter ticks from making their way into recreational areas.
- Mow the lawn frequently and keep all leaves raked.
- Stack wood neatly and in a dry area to discourage rodents from taking up residence. Ticks feed on rodents in their nests.
- Keep play equipment, decks, and patios away from yard edges and trees and place them in direct sunlight, if possible.
- Remove any old furniture or trash from the yard.
- Research your plants and trees, do you have some that are attracting deer to your yard?